This episode is a rebroadcast of a webinar conversation Maggie Mick, assistant Vice Preistent of Multi State, had with California Assembly-member, Mike Gipson about California lawmaking!Topics covered in this episode include:
Mike Gipson is a California Assemblymember. He was elected to the California State Assembly in 2014, Gipson has served as Democratic Caucus Chair since 2016. A former cop, and non-profit leader in Los Angeles, he serves on Buisness and Professions, Governmental Organization, Insurance, and Transportation Committees. He serves as 2023 Chair of CSG West, the western region of The Council of State Governments. Maggie Mick serves as Assistant Vice President at MultiState where she leads the firm’s Stakeholder Engagement Practice. She also works with clients on campaigns, issue management, lobbying and compliance. Before joining MultiState’s leadership team in 2022, she spent nearly 12 years at The Council of State Governments (CSG) nationally headquartered in Lexington, Kentucky. Her final role was Chief Advancement Officer, leading strategic partnerships and external relations for major stakeholders including legislative leadership and the private sector. Prior to her tenure at CSG, she was an aide in the United States Congress. In addition, she has held public office as a member of the Lancaster City Council for two terms. Maggie serves on the board of directors and executive committee for the American Council of Young Political Leaders (ACYPL), was 2022 president of the Washington Area State Relations Group (WASRG) and a graduate of the Public Affairs Council's Institute. She has received local and statewide recognition including "Top Women in Business" in Kentucky by the Lane Report and the Kentucky Commission on Women Bluegrass Alliance for Women Impact Award. Maggie is a graduate of the University of Kansas where she earned her Bachelor of Science in Journalism and Bachelor of Arts in American Studies. She is the proud wife of Nathan Mick and mother to Birdie and Hank.
- An introduction to who Mike Gipson is.
- The moment that Mike Gipson decided to run for office.
- Mike's police partner being killed while in the line of duty.
- How it impacted Gipson's path towards office.
- An overview of what the CSG West Chair organization is.
- An overview of the CSG West Annual meeting this summer at Universal Studios in California and topics that will be discussed there.
- Public safety
- How the CSG organization is formed and how it is run.
- Why did Mike Gipson run for office.
- Some pieces of legislation that have come out of Gipson's lived experiences.
- The sucesses that Gipson and Speaker Rendon have had
- New possible changes coming from the new speaker coming June 30th.
- Does California have a budget issue and Gipson's take on the current budget.