In this unique episode of the podcast, Jim welcomes back Josh Gray and with him, his mom Jackie Krentzman to the podcast for the first time to talk about the unique relationship they have together and how it all came to be. Topics covered in this episode include:
- How Jackie first met Josh.
- Jackie's first impression of Josh
- Overview of the nonprofit Write on Sports and Jackie's work with creating a chapter in the Berkley area
- Josh's first impression of Jackie
- Josh and Jackie talk about preconceived notions they had when Josh first started to live with Jackie
- Jackie's preconceived notions growing up in a Jewish neighborhood.
- Josh's grandmother's preconceived notions meeting Jackie
- Jackie meeting Josh's family
- The process Josh went through that caused him to start calling Jackie his mother and wanting to live with her and Larry.
- The conditions created between Josh's family and Jackie to allow him to move into the house.
- Josh opening up to Jackie about his trauma.
- Raising Josh in a different culture than what would've been considered his normal.
- How Josh living with Jackie helped them both learn and grow in different ways.
- Josh asks Jackie if she has ever been in a situation that makes her realize the issues that black women go through raising their children.
- The statistics of what Josh's future that was laid out after failing a test in first grade.
- Where Josh's biological family is today.
- Life post George Floyd and what has changed in their lives since.
- How being progressive still means there is still a lot to learn and trying not to have a 'White Savior' mentality.
- Josh and Jackie having accountability for one another and checking on one another's attitudes.
- What individuals can do for people in the world in similar situations to Josh as a child but also adults.